Pages

Dec 1, 2011

Thursday Throwback


When the time came for me to leave for college, Keane and I decided to stay together and attempt to date from a thousand miles apart. We committed to making trips back and forth to visit every other month which made the impending separation a little less daunting.

We said our teary goodbyes and I boarded a plane to begin the next chapter of my life. The excitement of meeting my new roommates, exploring my dorm and getting unpacked was quickly replaced by a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach once nighttime came. I remember walking outside for some privacy to call Keane and tell him how much I missed him. I recall the bench I sat on and how unbearably hot it was outside at 10:00pm in Arizona.

Over the next few weeks, the separation became easier on us both. I was occupied with reading text books, writing papers and making new friends, while he kept busy with football and whatever else it was that seniors did (read: slacking).

September came and passed and Keane decided that he wanted to "take a break" to date other people. To ease my devastation, I spent two full days crying in bed with the shades closed, blasting Celine Dion. My roommates (whom I had only known for a month, keep in mind) thought I was certifiably crazy and I didn't blame them. But after a few days of feeling sorry for myself and refusing to eat, I decided I wasn't going to be that girl any longer. I resolved to meeting new guys and accepting date invitations. By spring break however, Keane and I were back to speaking several times a day. He drove to Tucson to visit me for a week in March and it was like no time had passed. We decided to give a long distance relationship another shot.

2004- Tucson, AZ
2004 The Desert Museum- Tucson, AZ
We continued this on again off again relationship over the next two years. Looking back, I'm glad we took time apart throughout our first 5 years together. Although it was painful, we each had to be sure about the reasons we fell in love in the first place. After dating other people and eventually finding our ways back to one another time after time, we discovered that our love was more than just familiar and convenient. There was something about our connection that was very real. Even when we weren't in a relationship, we always cared deeply for each other and never let a night pass without calling "just to say goodnight."

2005 visiting Keane at college 
2005 visiting Keane at college
We got back together for the final time in 2006 at which point we committed to being in it for the long haul. We moved in together in 2007, got engaged in 2008, married in 2009, and now, two fur babies later and a month away from 2012, our relationship has never been stronger. I realize how lucky I am to be married to my best friend. He is the only person in the world I don't ever need space from. He knows my secrets, my pains and my sillies. As a young girl, I used to pray for my future husband– asking God to bless him and bring him into my life when the time was right. I believe with my whole heart that this is the man I was praying for.

2006 
2006 New Years Eve- Boulder, CO 
2007 Red Rocks
2007 Boulder, CO
Alright already. Enough sap. That, my friends, is the story of how I came to be a Ray. See part one here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...