Pages

Jul 3, 2012

Times, they are a changin'

I remember the days back in college when weekends began on Thursday night. We'd try to avoid scheduling Friday classes but if they were inevitable, it wasn't uncommon to just suck it up and run on very little sleep with very pounding headaches. Three nights in a row of these shenanigans each week was our norm (Attending 2 of the top 10 party schools in the nation could have had something to do with this.)

Fast forward to today. Keane and I have had plans to go country dancing for the last nine months (because when in Rome we do as the Romans do, obviously) but every weekend after we finish dinner, we give in to our exhaustion and call it a night before the bar even opens. I literally can't bring myself to stay awake past 10:30 most nights.

This transition has been a slow one over the past five or so years. My idea of a good time has steadily shifted from staying out until the bars close, to going out to dinner before getting a good night's sleep. When we lived in Denver, I actually used to sit in bed on weekend nights and think about all the people at that very moment who were going to feel like death the next day after a long night of partying. I took great pleasure in knowing that I, on the other hand, would wake up feeling refreshed and ready for a productive day ahead. (Smug? Maybe a little.)

My new norm is far cry from tipsy cab rides home at 2:00 in the morning. It now involves taking my vitamins, flossing my teeth and reading before bed at 10:00pm. And you know what? I embrace it. I am (old) woman, hear me roar!

My strong bones and healthy gums can thank me later....ahem. High kicks and air punches for 26 year old grandmas everywhere!


3 comments:

  1. ha, i can totally relate! 11pm on a friday night is a good night for me. and i'm more likely to be found having 1 glass of wine on a friday or saturday..if that. gone are the days of pounding beers. i have to say i don't mind it one bit either. on the occasional night that i party too hard i find the next day i totallllly regret it. can't bounce back like i could in college :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya sister! And I agree, it's much harder to function after a crazy night of partying than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I'm not the only old fart these days. : ) (...and at least you cut up the mom-jeans!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...