Pages

Apr 3, 2012

Fighting the Blues

You've all heard of the Monday blues, right? Well I get the Sunday blues. It's true. As soon as I wake up Sunday morning I am struck with the realization that the weekend is half over and I get sad. This is a terrible way to feel because it can quickly rob me of my remaining free time if I'm not careful. Keane is pretty good about snapping me out of it, but I've come up with a few tips of my own to prevent my funk.
1) Make a Plan
I typically mourn my weekends when I feel like I didn't get everything accomplished that I wanted to. To combat this sadness, I keep a To Do list in my phone for my days off. I realize this might sound a little rigid for a weekend day but it's actually very helpful. Making a list not only gives me things to look forward to like brunch dates with Keane and game nights with friends, but it also allows me the satisfaction of crossing off less exciting obligations like laundry or errands once I've finished them. By Sunday night, I'm able to look back on my weekend and feel productive about all the things I've accomplished.

2) Set Expectations
When Keane and I first moved in together, we had a few arguments about how we should spend our precious time off together. Our expectations were very different– while we both liked to sleep in, I was excited to get on with my day once I woke up, whereas he was content spending a couple hours eating breakfast, watching TV and lounging. He was against "planning" our weekends too much because it was our time to relax, but I felt like by the time we were ready to start moving, it was 12:30 or 1:00pm and the day was half over. Sometimes lazy days are necessary but we've learned to discuss ahead of time our expectations for the weekend to avoid frustration or disappointment. Marriage is all about compromise, after all. 

3) Be Prepared 
This one has proven to be huge for me. Just like I hate coming home to a messy house after a vacation, I also hate starting the work week feeling disorganized and unsettled. It's important for me to have a clean house, folded laundry and a stalked fridge come Monday morning. I'm already dreading my alarm clock, I don't want to dread housework and dinnertime for the rest of the week as well. 

4) Me Time
Taking a little time to pamper myself at the end of each weekend is crucial for me to recharge for the coming week. I reserve a few hours before bed Sunday night as "me time" that I spend taking a bath, doing my nails, reading, or meditating by candle light. This routine acts as a welcomed close to a full weekend. 

5) Stay in the Moment
Each moment I spend dreading the start of a new week is a moment of my free time I could still be enjoying. Sometimes simply recognizing these thoughts and making a mindful effort to switch back to the present moment is all it takes to get back on track.

So there it is. 5 ways I've learned combat to my Sunday (and Monday) blues. Please tell me I'm not the only one who cringes at the thought of my free time coming to a close each week. Please?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...