Pages

Sep 6, 2011

This moment is my life


Are you taking this in?
Did you truly experience that?
Look where you are. Do you see it?
Breathe deeply.
Stay present. 


I struggle with this on a daily basis. 
The ability to remain present in each moment has never come easy to me. It usually takes daily reminders from myself to refocus on what is in front of me rather than wishing it away or planning for the next thing to come. 

Some of my greatest strengths can also be my biggest detriments if I'm not careful. 
My planning, meticulousness, structure, and organization have contributed to my success, but those same qualities also make it difficult for me to let go of my mental to-do lists and focus on right now.  

It wasn't until a few years ago that I even came to understand the value of remaining present. When I was young, I couldn't grow up fast enough. I wanted to be big and mature like my brother and sister. In high school, my focus was on senior year and graduation. As I moved through college, I remember saying to a friend, "People say these are the best years of your life, but I just want to be married and have a family." I didn't realize I was wishing my life away and I would never get those moments back. Although I look back very fondly on each stage in my life, I wish I would have been satisfied with where I was at the time instead of focusing so much on what was next. 

Life moves so fast and when I overlook present moments, I lose them forever. Remaining present to every day, every hour, allows life to change its pace a bit. All of a sudden, things I experience seem a little sweeter and the best part is...I notice them!

In times of struggle or pain it is especially difficult not to look forward to something different, but even then, I have to be reminded that this is my life- good or bad- it's what I get. 

So I make a conscious effort to show up and be present, even if I'd rather not some days.

Because this moment is my life. 

"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam

and so it is...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...