Pages

Dec 12, 2011

Goodwill? No Greatwill.

I love a good deal as much as the next Frugal Frieda. Maybe even more.
I rarely buy anything full price and I've formed a deep love affair with Banana Republic's clearance section, Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx (that's Maxxinista to you). Finding a good deal is like a drug for me. I use coupons, wait for sales, and scour ebay and amazon just to save a few bucks. Case in point: The other day, we drove to three different pharmacies because I wanted to save $6 on flu shots.

My latest obsession? Thrift stores. Although most of them smell like mothballs and old people, I find myself able to spend hours rummaging through old nicknacks, purses, shoes and clothes for diamonds in the rough. Goodwills are my favorite because they usually have the most crap inventory. 

I try to see things for what they could be not what they are, which is what makes thrifting so fun. 

Here, let me show you.

I picked up these silver candlesticks for $1.50 each. Besides a little polishing, nothing drastic needed to be done.


This little ceramic birdie was less than a $1. I'm thinking about spray painting her white one of these days. 


This vase was about $5 and weighs a ton. It was red and black when I bought it but with a couple coats of paint and a "dripping" technique, I transformed it to better suit our color scheme. 


Here are all the schnicker schnackers (Modern Family? Anyone? Anyone?) in action. 


This leaf dish is one of my favorite finds of all time. I picked it up at Goodwill in Denver for a few bucks. There it was, sitting pathetic and alone on the shelf in it's awful shade of poop brown. I could have just overlooked it, but instead, I thought to myself, "Self! Take this awesomely curvy ceramic dish home! Paint it crispy white and keep your keys and chapstick and sunglasses in it!"
So I did. 


And we do. 


I found the frame for this project  at Goodwill for $4. 


And let's not forget my moccs. The ones I found with tags still on them for stupid cheap? The ones I originally bought for a costume but that I now wear most days because they feel like air and allow me to pretend I'm an Avatar living on Pandora, ready to spear my next meal, climb a tree, and sleep in a hammock? 
Yeah, those moccs. 
Score!


So get out there and start thrifting! There are endless jewels just waiting to be uncovered, painted and repurposed. 
A few words of advice though? Bring a coffee or some riddalin for added determination and focus and always remember to breathe through your mouth, never through your nose. 
Then, promptly shower upon your return home. That one's very important. 

And because I'm feeling generous today, I'll share one more of my finds that is still a work in progress. 



Isn't she a beauty? I've been hacking away at this number for some time now (jury's still out on whether or not I've totally botched it) in hopes of coming up with something a little less...80s. So far, the shoulder pads are out, sleeves are gone, and hem is shortened. 
I really love the fabric so I hope it comes together. 


One night, before I started cutting it up, I put the dress on and casually strutted past Keane without telling him of my plans. I kept a straight face for as long as I could.
Shoulder pads make me feel equal parts sass and cheese. 


Happy thrifting! 

3 comments:

  1. I love all of your finds! The bird is my favorite. I collect little birdies. I'm drawn to them. I'm excited to see hte finished product of that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! I love Dollar Store "scavenger hunting" but I need to check out Good Will!

    I'm your newest follower, visiting from Top Baby Blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...